Preparing for Back to School 2019-20
We are looking forward to a successful 2019-20 School Year. This page serves as a resource guide for all your back to school needs.
All references to student grade levels are for the upcoming school year.
August/September Save the Dates:
August 28: Summer Social, 5:30 p.m. RSVP Here.
August 29: Teacher and MD schedule lists go live, 3:00 p.m.
September 3: First Week of School, photo booth available for First Day of School pictures.
September 6: Welcome Back Coffee with Head of School and PTF Fair, 8:00 a.m., Cardinal Gym.
September 6: First Spirit Day.
September 26: All division Back to School Night, 5:30 p.m.
- Back to School FAQ
- Supply Lists
- Summer Assignments
- Teacher Assignments
- Abbreviated Calendar
- Uniforms and Student Store
- ChoiceLunch and Cardinal Guides Links
- Nurse's Office
- Early Childhood Division
- First Week Start and End Times:
- ECC: September 3 and 4 are Meet and Greet Days—By appointment only for Infants and Toddlers, and by drop-in from 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. for Early Preschool-PreK. September 5, First Day of School for 2 and 5 day a week children. September 6, First Day of School for 3 day a week children.
- Elementary: First day of school, September 3, grades K-5 minimum day – 8:00 a.m. -12 noon. Regular schedule begins September 4, 8:00 a.m. – 2:45 p.m.
- Middle: 6th Grade first day on September 3: 8:00 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. 6th-8th first full day on September 4: 8:00 a.m. – 3:05 p.m.
- First Week of School Uniforms: Formal uniform is not required for the first week of school. Friday, September 6 is the first Spirit Day. Students of all divisions are encourage to wear a spirit shirt. K-8 will wear uniform bottoms and can wear crazy socks. K-8 wear formal uniforms every Monday beginning September 9.
- Bell Schedule
- Standard Day:
- ECC: Half-day: 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Full-day: 8:00 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.
- Elementary: 8:00 a.m. – 2:45 p.m.
- Middle: 8:00 a.m. – 3:05 p.m.
- Minimum Day:
- ECC: 8:00 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
- Elementary: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Middle: 8:00 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
- Standard Day:
- Cardinal Weekly: The Cardinal Weekly is sent every Sunday morning at 7:00 a.m. This is your primary source of information regarding activities on campus and important announcements. We encourage all families to read this publication.
- Spirit Days: The first Friday of every month is Cardinal Spirit Day. Students may wear spirit wear shirts and uniform bottoms. Crazy socks may also be worn with tennis shoes
- The first Spirit Day is Friday, September 6
- Gateway: The Parent Gateway is where you can access your teacher's webpage, class assignments, and important links regarding additional items (Spirit Day lunch sign-ups, event notifications, etc.). This will be up and running the first week of school.
- Important Dates
- Extended Care Options/Sign-Up
- Upcoming Athletics Tryouts: 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students may participate in the Athletics Program. St. John’s adheres to a no-cut policy for all sports. Fall tryout schedule is as follows:
- Tryout/practice for “A” co-ed football begins August 26 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Tryout/practice for “B” co-ed football is August 26 from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Tryout for Girls’ “B” volleyball is August 29 from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Tryout for Girls’ “A” volleyball is August 29 from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Co-ed Cross Country sign-up will take place week one of PE classes.
- Pick-Up/Drop-Off Instructions:,
- ECC: Early Childhood families have a parking permit allowing them to park in front of the Early Childhood building. Please be mindful of the amount of time you are parked, as parking is limited. All ECC children must be escorted to their classrooms or Extended Care and signed in by a parent or caregiver every day. All ECC children must be signed out from their classroom or Extended Care by a parent or caregiver at the end of every day.
- Elementary: Parents may walk their children to campus in the morning and at the end of the day, pick them up at the outside classroom door. In the morning, kindergarten parents will enter the kindergarten gate located near the outside door of the kindergarten classes, parallel to the driveway. Children should arrive no sooner than 7:40 a.m. If parents wish to drop off earlier, Extended Care is available. Carpool is also an option.
- Middle: Please enter the carpool driveway from El Camino Montana starting at 7:40 a.m. Pull all the way forward in the carpool. Your child can exit the vehicle as soon as you reach the fence area. In the morning, Middle Division students go to the blue tables until 7:55 a.m. (unless they have an appointment/office hours with a teacher, they do not enter the building). If parents wish to drop off earlier than 7:40 a.m., Extended Care is available. Middle Division parents may enter the driveway at 3:05 p.m. Both lanes are open for Middle Division carpool in single file. If your child is not at the pick-up area when you arrive, please exit and return to the carpool line. All students must go to carpool unless a parent has met them at their locker. Please do not ask your student to meet you somewhere other than their locker or carpool. Unsupervised students may not be picked up in front of the school during carpool (3:05 p.m. - 3:25 p.m.). Only Middle Division students who have permission slips on file will be allowed to walk off campus after carpool pickup is complete.
- Parent Lunch: Elementary - Middle Division parents, you are invited to join your child's lunch hour every Wednesday. The first Parent Lunch will be on September 11.
- Used uniforms can be purchased year-round in the Student Store.
- Athletic Physical Form