Our Return to Campus Plan
COVID-19 Planning Efforts for the 2020-21 School Year
The St. John's Episcopal School leadership team, with the full support of the School Committee, is working diligently to develop a Return to Campus strategy that allows for flexibility and transparency, while prioritizing the health and well-being of our community, as well as the educational experience of our students.
While details will be forthcoming as guidance and best practices continue to unfold from state and local agencies, as well as the National Association of Independent Schools, we can share the following expectations for now:
On-Campus Experience: We fully expect to welcome all of our St. John's Cardinals back to campus for the 20-21 school year. We have set a high bar, given the circumstances: Engage every student, every day. To do so, we will maximize our learning spaces throughout campus, invest in technology and learning infrastructure, and continue to deliver the top-notch St. John's program we know and love. There will be reasonable short-term adjustments to ensure our program remains age- and developmentally-appropriate. All actions will be in service of having students on campus each day to learn and grow with their talented faculty.
Future Communication: SJES families can expect to receive regular, ongoing updates from the School. On August 5, we shared our Return to Campus Plan, with further division-specific detail to come in future weeks. Our planning and expectations for such health issues continue to be predicated upon a shared responsibility of all in our community to take reasonable action to ensure their and others' safety during this time and through the school year. We're one Cardinal Family, counting on one another!
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can we guard against COVID-19?
- Should I inform SJES if I suspect exposure to COVID-19?
- How should I speak to my child about COVID-19?
- Is St. John's implementing a travel policy?
- What if my child is quarantined for 14-days due to potential exposure to COVID-19?
- What if my child is sick and cannot attend synchronously through LSE?
- Will families and staff be informed if someone on campus tests positive for COVID-19?
- Will there be opportunities for students to remove their face coverings during the day?
- Has St. John’s applied for a waiver for elementary on-campus learning with the County Health Department?
- Will organized sports be taking place when school starts? Or, at any point during the school year?
- Will non-athletic after-school activities on campus like cooking, theater, arts and crafts, and Soccer Shots take place?
- Will PE and recess continue as normal?
- What are the back-to-school Onboarding Days?
- What about our favorite St. John's traditions or experiences?